Counseling & Consultations

Counseling Services

The university offers counseling services to help you face challenges and improve your health, well-being, and effectiveness. The services are confidential and free of charge to UT Select insurance benefits-eligible staff, faculty, dependents (age 18 or older), or retirees.

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides short term, confidential counseling with its experienced staff of licensed psychologists and social workers. In these sessions, the counselor assesses needs and makes a plan with the individual for addressing those needs, either at the EAP, through a community provider, or through other UT resources.

Our counselors are allies. 

Learn more about our counselors

Because EAP counseling is a short-term service, you may want to explore longer-term counseling solutions. Learn more about requesting a referral to a long-term community provider on our Referrals & Resources page

Prior to your appointment, please be sure to complete the Client Information (PDF) and Telecounseling Consent (PDF) forms and see our confidentiality (PDF) and privacy (PDF) notices.


The EAP also provides consultations for managers and supervisors that are experiencing difficulty with an employee or navigating workplace dynamics. Call us at (512)471-3366 or email us at to set up a manager consultation appointment.

For information on recognizing troubling situations, helping troubled employees, or assessing Fitness For Duty, see the appropriate links in the menu on the right.

Prior to your manager consultation, please be sure to complete the Manager Information (PDF) and Telecounseling Consent (PDF) forms and see our confidentiality (PDF) and privacy (PDF) notices


The EAP protects the privacy of your contacts as required by state and federal law, and even your initial call is private. All counseling clients receive a confidentiality notice, and release of information is strictly regulated by state laws. For more information, see our confidentiality notices in English (PDF) and Spanish (PDF).

Federal (Clery Act, eff. 1990) and State of Texas (Texas Education Code, Chapter 51, eff. 2020) laws require EAP to confidentially report instances of sexual violence, sexual harassment, dating violence, stalking, and Clery-reportable crimes to the University of Texas’ Title IX or Clery offices. We are only required to share that we are aware that an instance has occurred but privacy laws do not permit us to share any other information. Therefore, we will not share your name or any other identifying information about you when reporting.

Phone: 512-471-3366 
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Phone line is not answered during the lunch hour of 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. However, sessions can be scheduled during the lunch hour or until 6:00 p.m. upon request.

Crisis (After-Hours Only): 512-471-3399