Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to receive counseling through the EAP?

Any UT Select benefits-eligible staff, faculty, dependent (age 18 or older), or retiree may use the EAP’s counseling services. Eligible individuals may also see a counselor jointly with life partners, family members, roommates, friends, or significant others.

The EAP serves individuals associated with the main campus, Pickle Research Campus, Marine Sciences Institute at Port Aransas, McDonald Observatory, other university offices not located on the main Austin campus, and The University of Texas System administrative offices.

Can I see a counselor during work hours?

Yes, it is university practice that employees are permitted to use paid work time to visit the EAP with permission from their supervisor/manager.

Will what I talk about affect my job or chances for promotion?

EAP services are confidential. Use of the EAP will not jeopardize your job or chance of promotion. Maintaining your job and your chance for promotion depend only on your performance.

See our Confidentiality Statement (English) (Spanish)

Myself or someone else is considering suicide. What should I do?

The HealthPoint Employee Assistance Program (EAP) collaborates with the Counseling and Mental Health Center’s “Be That One” suicide prevention program. EAP counselors are available to consult with employees, managers, and workgroups about suicide risk, prevention, intervention, and management. Our goal is to create a workplace that promotes mental health and decreases suicide risk for the UT campus community.

  • If you or someone close to you is imminently suicidal, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
  • Are you concerned about a faculty/staff member or student?
  • Even if you are not fully sure, call the Behavior Concerns Advice Line at 512-232-5050.
  • To consult with an EAP counselor, call 512-471-3366.
  • To schedule a suicide prevention training for faculty and staff, call the EAP at 512-471-3366.
  • More information about UT’s “Be That One” suicide prevention program is located on the Be That One website.
Can I receive couples/family counseling through the EAP?

Because of the short-term nature of our services, the EAP can consult with and counsel individuals regarding relationships but cannot see couples. However, we are happy to provide referrals to couples counselors in the community.

*Please be advised that while we do try to refer to community resources that are in network, it is up to you to check with Blue Cross Blue Shield for any copays or additional fees.

Can my underaged dependent see a counselor through the EAP

We cannot provide counseling to anyone under the age of 18, but we would be happy to provide community referrals to youth counselors in the community.

I work on a remote campus. What can EAP do for me?

See EAP Resources for Employees on Remote Campuses (PDF)

I live out of state. What resources are available to me?

The Employee Assistance Program counselors are licensed by the state of Texas in their respective fields in psychology, social work, and counseling. This licensure allows them to provide counseling within the state of Texas. For employees, their dependents, and retirees on UT Select who live out of state and are seeking counseling, we offer the following resources:

MDLive provides counseling virtually nationwide at no cost if you or your family are covered by UT Select: LifeCare provides referrals nationwide for UT Austin and UT System employees.

The EAP provides management consultations and grief debriefings to all UT employees regardless of location. 

I'm having difficulties managing an employee. What can EAP do to help?

The EAP provides consultations for managers and supervisors that are experiencing difficulty with an employee or navigating workplace dynamics. Call us at (512)471-3366 or email us at to set up a manager consultation appointment.